Jr Hockey Digest
Don't Miss

Brahmas-Mudbugs To Play Pre-Thanksgiving Game

Photo courtesy of Rebekah Bing Photography: The Lone Star Brahmas and Shreveport Mudbugs will play a single game on Thanksgiving eve.


The Lone Star Brahmas and Shreveport Mudbugs will play a pre-Thanksgiving game on Wednesday evening at the NYTEX Sports Centre. The single game will be the third time the two teams have met this season. The Brahmas took the previous two meetings against the Mudbugs earlier this month by a combined 5-2 margin.

11/09   Mudbugs 0 at Brahmas 2

11/10   Mudbugs 2 at Brahmas 3 SO

This past weekend saw the Brahmas capture three of a possible four points against the Corpus Christi Icerays at the American Bank Center. In game one it was Michal Stinil (7G-5A) who opened the scoring late in the first period, but the Icerays responded just eight seconds later. Lone Star took the lead once again in the second on a Vilho Saariluoma (2G-7A) tally and held it through the 13:37 mark of the third when Corpus Christi would once again tie it up and force overtime. The Icerays netted the game winner at 1:05 of the overtime period. Harrison Feeney (6W-5L-2OTL-SOL) suffered the loss despite a 31 save performance. In game two all the scoring came in the middle frame with Andrew DeCarlo (2G-0A) and Thomas Daskas (2G-0A) putting the Brahmas up two before the Icerays cut the lead in half, but could get no closer. Seth Eisele (4W-1L-0OTL-1SOL) picked up the win on 30 saves.

The Mudbugs also had a three point weekend at home against the Odessa Jackalopes. The Mudbugs picked up the win Friday night with Jay Feiwell (4G-5A) opening the scoring in the second period followed by an Ethan Harrison (8G-5A) tally. Odessa scored prior to the end of the period to go into the third down one. The Jackalopes took the lead with two early in the third, but could not hold it. CJ McGee (5G-11A) and Feiwell scored to make a winner of Leo Chuard (6W-5L-0OTL-2SOL) who made 40 saves on the night. Saturday saw the Mudbugs drop a 5-4 shootout. Jack Jaunich (4G-4A) and Tim Khokhlachev (1G-1A) scored either side of three Odessa tallies in the first. Jaunich scored again in the second to tie it up. After the Jackalopes had retaken the lead former Brahmas Anton Rubtsov (3G-5A) tied it up once again forcing overtime and an eventual shootout where Odessa would claim the win. Chuard got the start and allowed three goals in the first 20 minutes of play before giving way to Richie Parent (0W-1L-0OTL-0SOL). Parent took the loss even though he stopped 32 of the 33 shots he faced.


Last Five Games

Brahmas 4 0 1 0 9
Mudbugs 1 1 0 3 5

Special Teams

The Brahmas power play comes in ranked 11th overall in the NAHL. The have managed 13 goals in 68 opportunities for 19.1%. At home they slip two spots to 13th and 18.4%. Lone Star has scored seven home power play goals on 38 man advantages. In their last five games they are two for 17 and 11.8%. Where the special teams shine is on the penalty kill where they are 3rd in the league. Lone Star has killed off 67 of 77 opponent power play opportunities or 87.0%. At home they are at 86.4% good for 4th after allowing six goals on 44 kills. They have allowed only one goal in 22 kills in their last five games which is 95.5%.

The Mudbugs have struggled on the power play this season and currently hold down 22nd place in the NAHL. They have 11 goals on 85 opportunities for 12.9%. On the road they jump up to 21st but fall to 10.0% with 5 goals on 50 man advantages. Over the last five games they have 3 goals on 26 chances at 11.5%. The penalty kill is also in the bottom half of the league at 78.5% good for 20th. Shreveport has killed off 73 of 93 opponent power plays. They have been a bit better on the road at 82.6%. The Mudbugs road unit has given up 9 goals on 55 penalty kills or 83.6%. They have allowed 3 goals in 23 kills in their last five games which is 87.0%.

In their two head to head games this season the Brahmas have the only power play goal going 1 for 9 while Shreveport is 0 for 9.


Goaltending Comparison Last 5 Games

Brahmas 4 0 1 0 2 6 1.18 134 0.957
Mudbugs 1 1 0 3 0 13 2.48 189 0.936


Who is Hot (Last 5 Games)

Brahmas G A Pts
Matt Guerra 1 2 3
Kimball Johnson 1 2 3
Thomas Daskas 2 0 2
Clayton Lackey 2 0 2
Two Tied at 1 1 2
Mudbugs G A Pts
Jay Feiwell 2 2 4
Anton Rubtsov 2 2 4
CJ McGee 1 3 4
Gueorgui Feduolov 0 4 4
Jack Jaunich 2 1 3

Inside the Game

  • Lone Star comes in third in the NAHL South at 23 points one spot ahead of Shreveport with 21 points.
  • Ethan Harrison (7G-4A) is tied for 17th in the league in goals scored.
  • Gueorgui Feduolov is tied for 16th in the league in assists with 13.
  • Josh Barraclough (2G-2A) is 9th in the league in penalty minutes with 57 PIMs.
  • CJ McGee is 4th among defensemen with 5 goals and 16 points on the season.
  • Harrison Feeney is 6th in the league with a 2.04 GAA average. Leo Chuard is 25th with a 2.79 GAA. Seth Eisele has a 1.66 GAA and Maiszon Balboa has a 2.82 GAA but neither have played the minutes required to qualify among league leaders.
  • Harrison Feeney has a 0.927 SV% which is tied for 8th. Leo Chuard is 11th with a 0.925 SV%. Seth Eisele has a 0.932 SV% and Maiszon Balboa has a 0.916 SV%.
  • Shreveport is the most penalized team in the league averaging 25.35 minutes per game while Lone Star is 7th with an 18.50 minute average.
  • The Mudbugs have been whistled for 126 minor penalties in 20 games played compared to 85 for the Brahmas.
  • Lone Star is 6-3-0-1 at home while Shreveport is 4-6-0-2 on the road.
  • The Brahmas have a 0 / -1 / 0 per period goal differential compared to a -11 / +12 / -4 differential for the Mudbugs.
  • Shreveport is averaging 2.80 goals per game which is 13th in the league and allow 3.00 goals per game 15th in the NAHL. The Brahmas are 22nd averaging 2.10 goals for and 2nd with 2.20 goals allowed per game.
  • Lone Star has points in six straight game which is the 3rd longest current streak in the NAHL.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.